While football practices kicked off the fall sports at Rice Lake High School on Tuesday, three other Warrior fall sports begin next week, with first practices for girls golf on Monday and girls swimming and girls tennis on Tuesday.
The three other fall sports for the Warriors get going Monday, Aug. 19, in volleyball, boys soccer and boys and girls cross country.
Returning head coaches are Dan Hill in football, Shawn Gilbert in soccer, Robin Sommerfeld in volleyball, Bob Burdorf in swimming and Maite Oyarbide-Sanchez in tennis.
Two new head coaches taking over are Elizabeth Dickey in cross country and Taylor Hanvelt in golf.
Dickey was an assistant coach the past several years in cross country for head coach Jamie Stone. Dickey is a RLHS graduate who ran cross country for the Warriors throughout here high school years.
Hanvelt is a teacher at Rice Lake Middle School and a graduate of Sun Prairie High School, where she competed for the girls golf team. She takes over as head coach for Tom Germanson.
Oyarbide-Sanchez was co-head coach in tennis last season with Inger Sanderud-Nordquist.
The football Warriors see their first contact with other teams when Rice Lake hosts a four-team football scrimmage on Aug. 16. The scrimmage starts at noon and includes Hayward, Somerset and Superior. The opening game for the Warriors is Friday, Aug. 23, at Medford.
Opening dates in other Warrior sports are:
• Girls golf - invitational Friday, Aug. 16, at Barron’s Rolling Oaks course.
• Girls tennis - first match at Amery on Monday, Aug. 19.
• Girls swimming - first meet Thursday, Aug. 22, at Merrill.
• Boys soccer - scrimmage Saturday, Aug. 24, vs. Barron. First games Thursday, Aug. 29, in triangular at Unity High School.
• Cross country - first meet Wednesday, Aug. 28, at Boyceville Invitational.
• Volleyball - home scrimmage Tuesday, Aug. 27, first competition in Menomonie Sprawl on Friday and Saturday, Aug. 30-31.