First Baptist Church of Barron will celebrate its 125th anniversary at services this weekend. The celebration is Saturday, June 22, at a 6:45 p.m. service; and Sunday, June 23, at 9:30 a.m. Sunday school, 10:45 a.m. service, 12:15 p.m. potluck luncheon; and 1:30 p.m. service.
It was organized in March 1894 in Maple Grove Township with the name Immanuel Baptist Church. A year later its name was changed to First Baptist Church of Barron.
Members met at different locations until its first church was erected at the corner of 4th Street and Division Avenue, where Subway is now located. A parsonage was built to the west of the church in 1905 but was destroyed by a fire in 1908.
In 1974 plans began to build a new church on a parcel of land at the west end of Barron near the golf course. A ground breaking was held May 18, 1975 and the first service in the new structure was on Oct. 3, 1976.
Regular times are 10:45 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Sunday services and a 9:30 a.m. Sunday school; and children’s (AWANA) and youth groups during the school year at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays.
Rev. Floyd Lunde is the lead pastor, and Kodiak Boersma is the youth pastor.