Price U14s take first

Price U14s take first (front row): Ben Edwards. Second row, from left: Olivia Harding, Gabrielle Eklund, Hailey Klchosky, Seth Gehrke, Kieran Mullen and Demion Wagner. Third row, from left: Collin Krause, Maria Surman, Mark Cummings, Amy Klimowski, Adam DeMuth, Jed Miller, Kavanaugh Fitzpatrick and coach Mark Fuhr. Missing from photo: Philip Gengenbach, Courtney Shipley, Cecelia Fuhr and Dakota Bogdanovic.

The Price Soccer Club U14s travelled to Minocqua Saturday, Oct. 5 and took first place in the Full Moon Soccer tournament for the third consecutive year.

The team opened against Three Lakes. Kieran Mullen and Kavanaugh Fitzpatrick scored the first two goals for Price Soccer. After allowing Three Lakes to tally one of their own, Seth Gehrke scored twice in quick succession to put the local team up 4-1 at halftime.

In the second half, Olivia Harding scored on a determined effort. After being knocked to the ground as she shot on goal, the ball rebounded in her direction. She scrambled to her feet and knocked the ball into the back of the net, scoring her first goal of the season and putting the team into a comfortable 5-1 lead. The game ended 5-2 and Price Soccer advanced to the second round.

The second game pitted Price Soccer against Minocqua. Gabrielle Eklund, Kieran Mullen, Jed Miller and Adam Demuth all scored and the team rolled to a 4-0 victory.

Needing to win their third game to advance to the championship, Price Soccer found the same Three Lakes team from earlier in the day standing in their way. Kieran Mullen opened the scoring for Price Soccer, and then Ben Edwards rose to meet a well-placed corner kick from Jed Miller and headed the ball into the far corner of the net. Jed Miller finished the first half scoring by calmly slotting home a breakaway, and the team went into halftime holding a 3-0 lead.

The second half saw Three Lakes feverishly pushing forward. Their efforts resulted in two goals, tightening up the game, but Price Soccer responded by notching two of their own, both by Fitzpatrick, to take the game 5-2.

In the championship game, Price Soccer was matched up against the always-strong Eagle River team. After controlling much of the play, Price Soccer conceded the first goal of the game when Eagle River counterattacked and saw their first shot of the game deflect off the post and into the net. Finding themselves in a hole for the first time, Price Soccer showed their resilience. Gehrke played a through ball for Fitzpatrick to slide home against Eagle River’s goalkeeper, and then Mark Cummings shot the ball from the right all the way across the penalty box where Jed Miller controlled it and fired a 20-yard bomb into the upper corner.

Up 2-1 at half, Price Soccer never relinquished its lead and held on for a hard fought victory.

The team finished its season with an over all record of 12 wins and two losses. It won the Chequamegon Bay Soccer tournament for the first time ever, took third place in Hayward, and as noted above, won the Full Moon tournament for the third year running.

(Copyright © 2019 APG Media)

Load comments