The Prentice fifth grade boys basketball team participated in the Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament in Kimberly and Appleton East on April 11 and 12, 2015. This tournament, which was organized by The Great Northwest Basketball League, brought together 74 of the top community-based fifth grade boys basketball teams from all across the State of Wisconsin. Based on the enrollment of the high school into which each team feeds, State champions were crowned in four divisions (Divisions 4 and 5 were combined).
Prentice played in Division 4/5, and finished in sixth place. The results of Prentice’s six games were as follows:
Pool Play: Prentice 48, Shiocton 30; Prentice 40, Cochrane-Fountain City 34; Prentice 34, Blair-Taylor 27; Prentice 43, Whitehall 28
1st – 8th Place Quarterfinals: Cuba City 44, Prentice 35
5th Place Game: Shiocton 41, Prentice 39
Iola-Scandinavia defeated Mineral Point to win the Division 4/5 Championship.
The Prentice team is coached by Jason McRoberts, Katrina Isaason and Teanna Nikkila. Tristan McRoberts was named to the All-Tournament Team for Division 4/5, along with: Tyson Blanchard (Clear Lake), Cooper Diedrich (Edgar), Dominik McVay (Mineral Point), Parker Moder (Shiocton), Parker Prahl (Iola-Scandinavia), Mason Reese (Cuba City), Aidan Schmidtknecht (Cochrane-Fountain City), Blake Thill (Turtle Lake) and Kobe Vosberg (Cuba City).
In the other three divisions, Kimberly defeated Stevens Point to win the Division 1 Championship, Pewaukee defeated Ashwaubenon to win the Division 2 Championship and Marshall defeated Kewaunee to win the Division 3 Championship.
The Wisconsin State Invitational Championship Tournament is an annual event, held in February, March, or April of each year, pitting the top community-based teams in the State of Wisconsin against each other. The tournament is organized by size of communities, much like the WIAA state high school tournaments, so that top teams can compete on a level playing field with other programs their size.
Separate tournaments are held for fifth through eight grade boys and girls. The following are the dates and locations of State Championship Tournaments for the various grade levels (other than grade five boys):
• 8th Grade Boys – April 11 and 12, 2015, co-hosts Stevens Point and Waupun
• 7th Grade Boys – March 28 and 29, 2015, host La Crosse
• 6th Grade Boys – April 11 and 12, 2015, co-hosts De Pere, West De Pere, Ashwaubenon and Wrightstown
• 8th Grade Girls – March 28 and 29, 2015, co-hosts Stevens Point and Mosinee
• 7th Grade Girls – April 11 and 12, 2015, co-hosts Wausau East, D. C. Everest, Mosinee and Marathon
• 6th Grade Girls – March 28 and 29, 2015 co-hosts Manitowoc and Merrill
• 5th Grade Girls – March 28 and 29, 2015, co-hosts Appleton North, Little Chute and Neenah