MADISON – The Department of Workforce Development (DWD) is encouraging people to go online for faster service delivery of unemployment insurance (UI) benefits.
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, DWD's Unemployment Insurance Division is experiencing heavy call volume and longer than normal wait times.
The online site for up-to-date information and to apply for unemployment benefits is at: https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/ui/.
The majority of people applying for unemployment benefits can complete their claim online. Receiving unemployment benefits is a two-step process:
• Apply online. The week one becomes unemployed, file an application online and do not wait to file. More information, instructional videos, and how to apply is available at: https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/uiben/apply/.
• File weekly claim. After applying online, each person will need to file a claim certification each week. This will require one to answer a series of questions and continue to file a weekly claim certification for each week to receive benefits. More info is available at: https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/uiben/handbook/english/contentspart3.htm
DWD also has a helpful claimant handbook: https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/uiben/handbook/. It contains important information and instructions about eligibility for benefits and how to protect ones rights for those benefits under the Wisconsin Unemployment Insurance law.
Employers can find information on:
• Payment options (https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/uitax/payments/).
• UI employer online services (https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/uitax/).
• DWD has a helpful Wisconsin Unemployment Insurance Handbook for Employers: https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/ui201/.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
For frequently asked questions about the COVID-19 Coronavirus and Wisconsin Unemployment Benefits visit the following link: https://dwd.wisconsin.gov/covid19/public/ui.htm.
If having difficulty finding the information needed, then use the search bar located at the top of each page by typing in keywords.