The man shot by police in Ashland Wednesday was wanted by the U.S. Marshals office and was killed after he rammed a police vehicle with his SUV and then was seen with a gun, according to the state Division of Criminal Investigation.

DCI issued a six-paragraph press release late Thursday representing the first official statement on the shooting that occurred in an Ashland neighborhood more than 24 hours earlier.

The release said a task force attempted to arrested the man, who DCI did not name, when he "struck and then pushed a U.S. Marshal’s vehicle for a distance. As the subject was attempting to flee in the vehicle, law enforcement observed the subject handling a firearm. Law enforcement fired on the subject and hit the subject in the car."

The release said officers tried to revive the man but he died at the scene.

"DCI is continuing to collect evidence and determine the facts of this incident and will turn over investigative reports to the Ashland County District Attorney’s Office when the investigation concludes," the release said.

The U.S. Marshals office, after telling the Daily Press early Thursday that it would release a statement on the incident, later said all information about the shooting would go through DCI. Ashland Police Chief Jim Gregoire did not return messages seeking comment Thursday.

The DCI press release did not say why U.S. marshals were trying to arrest the man.

The shooting happened at about 3 p.m. Wednesday when several rapidly-fired shots echoed through the neighborhood south of downtown Ashland. Police immediately cordoned off several blocks in the area and focused their attention on two homes in the 800 block of Fourth Avenue West. 

Neighbors told the Daily Press that the man who lived in one of those homes, known to them only as "Joe," had moved into the neighborhood late in 2018 and was the man killed by police. After the shooting, police continued to surround adjacent houses from the cover of armored vehicles. Witnesses told the Daily Press it sounded as though police were yelling for someone named "Nelson" to exit with his hands up.

The release did not explain why police continued to demand that someone surrender after they had shot and killed the suspect they were seeking.

(Copyright © 2019 APG Media)

Load comments